I just received this news article via e-mail and thought I would post it so you could read it as well. I have added a link under "Friends" to Clay's blog.
Local boy burned in explosion SaturdayWednesday, February 18, 2009Mindi Kimbro, firstname.lastname@example.orgA 5-year-old Olney boy, Clay Fite, remains in intensive care at Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas after he was burned in an explosion at his home on Saturday, Feb. 14. An emergency call was placed from the residence at 5:51 p.m.According to information released by Chief Deputy Carl Magee of the Young County Sheriff’s Office, Olney EMS and deputies were dispatched to the home, located at 679 FM 3329, just south of Olney, in reference to a fire that had injured children.By the time authorities arrived, the victims were transported to Hamilton Hospital by private vehicle.“The children were in the backyard while trash in a trash barrel was being burned,” Magee said. “The heat from the trash barrel ignited a gasoline can and the resulting fire injured the children.”Carson Fite, 10, sustained a minor injury and was treated and released. Cody Fite, 6, also sustained minor burns and was treated and released from Hamilton Hospital. Clay Fite, 5, sustained more severe burns over a large portion of his body. He was flown by air ambulance to Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas, where he remained in the intensive care burn unit Tuesday. Magee said the investigation into the fire is continuing.The family requests that blood be donated in lieu of gifts, since Clay’s burns are too severe to allow him to receive gifts or flowers. A blood drive has been planned through Carter BloodCare for 1-5 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 22, at First Baptist Church in Graham. Donors at this drive must specify the donation is for Clay Fite at Parkland Memorial Hospital, sponsor number SPON047572, with a date of birth of July 12, 2003.Carter BloodCare will have its Bloodmobile at the Wal-Mart in Graham from 1:30-6 p.m. March 2, with donations to benefit Clay.Accounts will be established at Citibank and First National Bank of Olney, with funding to benefit the Fite family as well as the Ronald McDonald House. A Web site has been set up by members of Fite’s family to provide updates on Clay’s condition and treatment. The site is www.claydavidfite.blogspot.com. Cards may be sent to the family at the following address: Clay Fite, Parkland Health and Hospital System, Burn ICU 6th Floor, 5201 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, Texas 75235.