Sunday, July 13, 2008

Life

Today - Sunday - is a day that reminds us of who we are, whose we are, why we are here and what we need to be doing. Today - I realized, sad news also brings us back to this place of humility.

This afternoon I received some sad news. A family friend was in an accident yesterday. He is alive. However, his quality of life has drastically changed. What life once was, will be much different. The extent is not yet known. He was enjoying the day with his family on the river - he dove in to shallow waters - waters that had been deeper the weekend before.

He has a beautiful wife and 4 darling children. He was on top of life. Young, good health, beautiful family, a new practice and a budding career - so much promise. In an instant much has changed.

I think back to when we almost lost Dad. The things my Mom went through - the things I went through - the things my family went through - the memories come flooding back. And now I add "the things our friends went through." My heart cries for his wife and children -and for him. I am at a loss as to how I can help. Words that could be uttered to show understanding and care; they seem so mundane. Yet, inside, I know how comforting they are; because they were to me. The road ahead is only traveled one step at a time. Some steps will be harder than others and some days it will feel as if no progress has been made but regress. I like what Eleanor Roosevelt said, "You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' You must do the thing you think you cannot do. " It is what we do with each experience that makes us who we are. I know with out any doubt Dads accident made me appreciate life more, appreciate my family and friends more.
Yesterday in meeting we heard about humility and love. Several of my friends have mentioned in passing conversations this last week about the things we love and whether they are loved more or less than God. It is good for me to be humbled and reminded that life and the things here on earth are so temporary. My love for God needs to be deeper so when these life changing experiences come I see them as an opportunity and not as a tragedy.

5 comments:

MrsRitzB said...

Oh my - so awful. Thinking of you and them. Is this one of the Vancouver friends?
Love, m

K 'n' K said...

My heart goes out to you, all their friends and the family. Your thoughts are poignant and true. Love, K

K 'n' K said...

My heart goes out to you, all their friends and the family. Your thoughts are poignant and true. Love, K

Joyce said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Phyllis said...

Hi J & M,
It was very nice of you to send this to me and I received the things you sent in the mail also. I thought what you wrote here was beautiful. You write like Patty. I had seen your blog thru hers also. I am very happy here in Fresno. I don't like Fresno so much, but love being with family here.
Love,
Phyllis (McPhail)